Monday, April 2, 2018
10 Ways to MAKE Time for Self-Care.
As women, we typically spend most (if not all) of our time taking care of other people and putting their needs above our own. Our children, spouse or significant other, relatives, friends, clients, customers, boss, community, and the list goes on and on and on.... That, of course, puts our own needs on the back burner. And a worn-out body equals a tired crappy mindset!
What we need to realize is that if we don't take care of ourselves then we won't be around to take care of everyone else. Stress and exhaustion can truly wreak havoc on your health- physical health as well as mental health. You can't pour from an empty cup, so every once in awhile- you've gotta refill that cup! The way to do that is by making self-care a priority.
Yes, I know you may have a kid or kids, a spouse or significant other, a home, a job or jobs, a business or businesses, classes, yard work, a vegetable garden, a farm, needy relatives or friends, church, and who knows what else. I get it, life is busy and hectic and crazy sometimes! Or..well... all the time lol.
But we absolutely HAVE to take the time to care of ourselves. We have to MAKE the time. MAKE it a priority in our life. I'm not saying you need to go spend an entire day at the spa every week or go spend $500 getting your hair and nails done. Well, unless that's you're THING and you can afford that, of course. But when you're struggling to find the TIME for self-care, a little really does go a long way if you're doing it the right way.
Read on to find out 10 ways that you can MAKE the time for self-care. Because when it comes down to it, we make time for the things we WANT to make time for.You know it's true! ;)
1. Get up 20 minutes earlier or go to bed 20 minutes later, and do something for yourself. Listen to music or an inspirational podcast, read a book, watch a quick video, write in a journal, do some yoga, or just take your coffee or glass of wine outside to sit and enjoy the peace and quiet. Now if you're someone who already doesn't get enough sleep, then I don't recommend choosing this option. Sleep is important too!
2. Use your lunch break to "get away" and take a few minutes for yourself.
3. Realize that the pile of laundry, sink full of dirty dishes, or cobweb hanging on your ceiling will still be there 20 minutes from now. They're not going anywhere, trust me!
4. Actually schedule an "appointment" for self-care. Seriously, write that bad boy in your planner!
5. Prioritize your time. Take one day and make a list of EVERY SINGLE THING you do that day. Then look at that list and see if there's anything at all that you can forgo every once in awhile. Maybe it's scrolling through facebook, checking your email 15 times per day, or saying "yes" to every single favor that's ever asked of you. It won't hurt to forgo it occasionally.
6. If you have young children- have your spouse, significant other, or another trusted individual to watch your children for a short period of time. OR better yet..
7. Do your self-care while the kids are at school (unless, of course, you home-school like me, lol.)
8. Sneak a little self-care in while you're sitting in your car waiting on your kids to get out of school or sitting in a waiting room at the doctor's office.
9. Have a cozy space somewhere that is yours and yours alone. Let your family know that any time you're in that cozy space of yours, it means you're not to be disturbed unless it's an emergency.
10. Consider having a self-care kit shipped to your front door every month so you don't have to go out and buy the supplies or keep bulk items on hand. Having it shipped to you also gives you a reminder that hey girl, it's time for some self-care! If you'd like to chat about receiving a monthly subscription box of self-care items for only $20 per month (while also helping to save the lives of homeless pets with your purchase) feel free to message me on facebook.
I hope those tips were useful for you and if you didn't already understand the importance of self-care, then I hope you do now! If you know someone who needs to hear this message, please share it with them! Talk to you soon!